Saturday, August 15, 2009

Training August 14, 2009 and My Template

Here's a quick clip of my training yesterday. I taped the top set of each movement. 

This was the workout: 

Pre-Work: Turkish Get-Ups: 2 x 1 trip each arm, Face Pulls: 2 x 12

A. Rack Pulls: Work up to max reps at 305

B1. Military Press off Pins: Worked up to max reps at 125
B2. Pullups: Worked up to max reps with 20 lbs and 10 lbs extra weight. 

C1. Overhead lockouts: 2 x 6-10
C2. Towel Curls: 2 x 8 - 12 (not shown)

D. Prowler: 4 trips with 1 minute timed rest between, 140 lbs on the poles. 



Right now I am using the 5/3/1 template for my training, but I have found full body workouts to be most effective for me. I've tried both ways, and I recommend that anybody using 5/3/1 try it in it's original form first. I do three full body workouts per week, one day focusing on front squats and floor presses with assistance movements, one day for rack pulls and military presses with assistance movements, and one day strictly for assistance movements. 

Here's the full template in case anyone is interested:

Monday

Pre-Work: Face Pulls and Ab Wheel
A. Front Squats: 5/3/1
B1. Floor Press off Pins: 5/3/1
B2. DB Rows: 2 x 10-15
C1. Bench Lockouts: 2 x 6 - 10
C2. Barbell Curls w/ Fat Grips
D. Prowler: Trying for maximum # of trips

Wednesday

Pre-Work: Face Pulls and Pallof Press ISO Holds
A. 5 second Paused Bulgarian Split Squats
B1. Dips: 3 x 8 - 12
B2. Pullups: 3 x 4-6
C1. GHR: 3-5 x 8 - 10
C2. Vertical Leg Lowering Abs off Pullup Bar: Various, between sets of GHR
D1. Feet Elevated Blast Strap Pushups: 3 x 10 - 12
D2. Inverted Rows: 3 x 10 - 12

Friday

Pre-Work: Face Pulls and Turkish Get-Ups
A. Rack Pulls: 5/3/1
B1. Military off Pins: 5/3/1
B2. Pullups: 2 x 10 - 20 (Higher reps than wednesday)
C1. Overhead Lockouts: 2 - 3 x 6 - 10
C2. Towel Curls: 2 x 8 - 12
D. Prowler: Trying for decreased rest periods at a set number of 4 trips

Saturday - Strongman Day

A. Keg Toss
B. Farmer's Walks
C. Hand Over Hand Sled Rows
D. Backwards Sled Drags

Note: Personally I like pressing off pins because it ensures that form is kept strict, as well as eliminates the stretch-reflex. It is also easier on days that you don't have a spotter. Pressing off pins is a lot tougher and you can't use nearly as much weight, but I highly recommend trying it out for the benefits I mentioned. 

Before each workout I always foam roll and do mobility work. On off days I come in and foam roll, jump rope, and do my ISO Hold routine, usually followed by a sauna or epsome salts bath and a contrast shower. 

With all this nutrition talk lately I figured I would switch the focus to training oriented posts for a little while. Let me know if there is anything you want me to cover. 

- T

No comments:

Post a Comment